Fire causes death to an average of 5000 UK citizens each year; it is estimated that an 80% death rate is reported from house fires.
There are some simple steps that can and should be taken to prevent a fire from starting in your home.
The big reason for fires breaking out is often forgetfulness. People forget to turn off a heated curler or a saucepan which can be disastrous. If you leave some water to boil on a gas hob and then walk away and forget about it the water will slowly evaporate and then the pan will slowly begin to melt – this can be fatal.
Infographic – NW Domestic Fire Sprinkler Systems
People also often forget how dangerous candles can be. You should carefully position candles to decrease the chance of them being knocked over or to lower the chance of the flame touching a nearby object. Most importantly – always remember to blow them out.
Chip pan fires are widely reported in the press as being a major cause of house fires – again this is often down to carelessness. You should always keep an eye on it while you are cooking – never walk out of the room and leave it unattended.
Cigarettes are also a cause of house fires. If you imagine, smokers may accidently fall asleep on the sofa with a lit cigarette – this could be disastrous.
In case you do ever forget about an appliance or a lit candle you should ALWAYS have smoke alarms installed in your home. Experts recommend that you have a smoke alarm installed on each floor, in the bedrooms and near to the staircases. You should regularly check that the smoke alarms are still working once a month – as the batteries may have run out.
It is also advisable that you get your home electrics checked over by an electrician – especially if you move into an old home. Faulty electrics are also a cause of house fires.
Should any of the above ever happen to you, it is vital that you know what to do so you don’t panic. In this case, a fire safety course would come in extremely handy.